web analytics
Your Independent Alternative!

Police: Death Toll in Brunswick Killings is Now Eight

Police say an eighth victim has died from the attacks at a Georgia mobile home.

Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering on Sunday identified the victim as 19-year-old Michael Toler. He was one of two people critically injured in the attacks in Brunswick along the Georgia coast. A ninth is hospitalized.

Doering says Toler died at a hospital in Savannah.

Doering also announced a $25,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the killings. He says police have no suspects, adding: "We need help."

Doering has said the killer wasn't among the dead or injured. The bodies were found Saturday.

A man who reported the bodies is in custody, accused of lying to police and other charges.

Guy Heinze Jr., 22, was arrested late Saturday and also faces charges of illegal possession of prescription drugs and marijuana, said Doering.

"He was a family member who came home and discovered (the victims), at least that's what he told us," Doering said.

Asked if Heinze was involved in the slayings, Doering said: "I'm not going to rule him out, but I'm not going to characterize him as a suspect."

Police have not released the names of any victims other than Toler or said how they died in the home on an old plantation, nestled among centuries-old, moss-draped oak trees in coastal southeast Georgia. Doering defended his vague statements about the case, saying he didn't want the public to know details that might compromise what he called a "tedious" investigation.

"We just simply don't have a lot to go on," Doering said. "I'm not going to tell people not to be cautious. Until we know exactly what happened and who did it, that's not going to change."

Mary Strickland, who owns The Georgia Pig, a popular local barbecue place said people have been buzzing about the killings and mainly want to know what happened.

"I think a lot of people who live in that area would feel a lot better if they had a little more information," Strickland said. "If it is a murder-suicide then let people know so they don't think there's some lunatic out there. We got a lot of people who panic and the more information you put out there, the better you make them fee."

The chief said police are certain they know what happened, but don't know who committed the slayings or why, saying "it's not a scene that I would want anybody to see."

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation began conducting autopsies Sunday. GBI spokesman John Bankhead said results would be released by Glynn County police, and Doering refused to comment, saying it could take two or three days for autopsies to be completed.

Investigators spent a second day Sunday scouring for new evidence at the home, where an old boat sat in the front yard. Officers on all-terrain vehicles searched roadsides within two miles of the mobile home park for evidence, without success.

Comments are closed.