Prescription Drugs Linked to Brittany Murphy’s Death
Celebrity news site TMZ is reporting that there were "large amounts of prescription medications" on the nightstand in actress Brittany Murphy's home when paramedics arrived on Sunday, and that Murphy was "complaining of shortness of breath and severe abdominal pain" in the days before she died.
Those prescription drugs, perhaps in combination with another factor like an eating disorder or diabetes, may have lead to the death of the 32 year old actress on Sunday. It's unlikely we'll know a definite cause of death for several weeks.
Celebrity news website TMZ.com reported shortly after her death that Brittany Murphy’s mother, who found the actress unconscious in the shower and called 911, told paramedics that her daughter had a history of diabetes.
It later came out that she had been suffering from several days of flu-like symptoms prior to her death.
Cyril H. Wecht, a forensic pathologist and medical-legal consultant, told CBS' Early Show: ""When you have a 32-year-old person dying suddenly, and especially a celebrity in Los Angeles, you can place your bet down that it's going prove to be a case of acute combined drug toxicity. And I bet you that this young lady tragically died in the same way that Michael Jackson did, and Anna Nicole Smith, and her son, Daniel Smith, and Heath Ledger -- a combination of drugs that had been prescribed for her, prescribed for her husband, for her mother, in some fictitious names, probably by doctors who are very, very quick to make available anything that celebrities want, sometimes using knowingly fictitious names."
""I am aware of some of the drugs that were found. One of them was a drug that was involved with Michael Jackson, Adivan. One of them was a drug that was involved with Anna Nicole Smith, Klonopin. Two of the drugs are pain relievers, Hydrocodone, which we frequently see in these cases, and Vicoprofen, a form of Vicodin," Wecht added. "The fact that they say that they're going wait for toxicology tests and it will take a couple of months, you can be sure that this is going to prove to be a case of acute combined drug toxicity. A tragedy."