web analytics
Your Independent Alternative!

Man Laughs Off Taser Jolt While Fighting Cops

ROCHESTER, N.Y. - A 24-year-old man who accused of attacking two Rochester police officers Wednesday laughed when one of the officers used a Taser to try to arrest him, according to court documents.

Even pepper spray did not completely subdue Paul J. Sutton, but it slowed him enough so that officers could finally take him into custody.

Sutton, described as at least 6 feet tall, 280 pounds and muscular, is scheduled to be arraigned in City Court on Monday. He is charged with second-degree assault and resisting arrest.

Officer Michael Decocq, an 18-year veteran, suffered a concussion and a broken clavicle when he was thrown to the ground. Officer Barry Herbin, a 17-year veteran, suffered a sprained ankle. Both men were treated at Strong Memorial Hospital and released.

Sutton was at Boehm Lodge for a meeting with Jason M. Parsons, a mental health counselor. Sutton was agitated and had been vulgar with staff members, according to Parsons' police statement. Parsons suggested to Sutton that he should go to a hospital emergency room for an evaluation, and "he responded by clenching his fists and grinding his teeth."

"He said he was happy and he gave me an odd grin. I sensed that he was in a psychotic state," Parsons said in his statement.

Parsons told Sutton he had to do paperwork, but left the room to call 911 for an ambulance to take Sutton to the hospital. He asked for police to accompany the ambulance.

Two officers arrived before the ambulance, and they met Sutton outside the building where he was smoking a cigarette. They told Sutton he had to go to the hospital and Sutton started to walk away. Herbin grabbed Sutton's left arm while Decocq tried to grab his right arm. But Sutton charged at Decocq and punched him, Herbin said in his statement.

Decocq fired his Taser at Sutton with no effect.

"Even the Taser had minimal effect. I heard Paul laugh after that was activated," Parsons said in his statement.

Sutton punched Herbin and knocked him to the ground. Sutton got on top of Herbin and punched him repeatedly, according to Herbin's statement. Then Sutton turned to Decocq, grabbed him in a bear hug and slammed him to the ground.

"It was like a wrestling move (Sutton) did to the officer," Adam Juhasz, a Rural/Metro paramedic, said in his statement.

Herbin grabbed Sutton around the neck and pulled him to the ground with the help of paramedic Michael J. St. Martin, but Sutton continued to fight. Herbin then used pepper spray on Sutton and other officers arrived to handcuff him.

More odd news at National Beacon.

Comments are closed.